China risks isolation over probe into virus origin, US national security adviser says
WASHINGTON (Tribune News Service) — China will risk international isolation if it fails to allow a “real” investigation on its territory into the origins of the virus that caused the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan said.
Sullivan’s comments follow last week’s call by Group of Seven leaders including U.S. President Joe Biden for another probe into how the virus originated. Biden last month ordered the U.S. intelligence community to “redouble” its efforts to determine where the coronavirus came from and to report back in 90 days.
The goal is to present China with “a stark choice: Either they will allow, in a responsible way, investigators in to do the real work of figuring out where this came from, or they will face isolation in the international community,” Sullivan said in an interview on “Fox News Sunday.”
The U.S. will continue pressing in cooperation with its allies and partners “until we get to the bottom of how this virus came into the world and who has accountability for that.”
China has rejected the theory that the virus originated in a lab in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the first cases were reported.
The World Health Organization investigation, which previously sent a mission to China to report on the virus origins, is expected to lead a second probe separately from the U.S. intelligence effort.
“We are not at this point going to issue threats or ultimatums,” Sullivan said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” If China doesn’t live up to its obligations, “we will have to consider our responses at that point and we will do so in concert with allies and partners,” he said.
“We’re not going to simply accept China saying no,” Sullivan said.
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC