Support our mission

(Tribune News Service) — A preliminary exam for an Oxford Township, Mich., man who allegedly gunned down a single dad in a case of mistaken identity has been rescheduled from May 24 to June 2.

Marcus Nathan, 36, is charged with open murder and possession of a felony in connection with the April 20 shooting that killed U.S. Army veteran Dennis Kendrick in the parking lot of the Abbey Ridge Apartment Homes complex in Oxford Township. Investigators say Nathan shot Kendrick multiple times at close range after mistakenly believing he'd sent him a threatening text message.

Kendrick was reportedly sitting in his car at the time, preparing to leave for work, when he was fired upon. He died at the scene.

At the preliminary exam, Judge Lisa Asadoorian of 52-3 District Court is expected to be presented with evidence and then determine if the case will advance to Oakland County Circuit Court for possible trial.

Nathan, who called 911 to report the death, said he had been walking around the complex parking lot looking for the person who had sent him a threatening text message, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office. He came upon Kendrick, assumed he'd sent the text and shot him, the sheriff's office said.

Detectives determined Nathan had received a threatening text message but not from Kendrick, the sheriff's office said. The two men reportedly didn't know each other.

Kendrick was the single father of a 15-year-old boy, Kamari, who's a student at Oxford High School. A GoFundMe account is set up to provide support for Kamari. Organizers say Kendrick was a U.S. Army veteran and an employee of American Axle, whose life revolved around his son. To pledge a donation, go to https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-loving-memory-of-dennis-kirby-kendrick.

(c)2022 The Oakland Press, Sterling Heights, Mich.

Visit The Oakland Press, Sterling Heights, Mich. at https://www.theoaklandpress.com/

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

A wooden gavel and block is seen inside the Senate Hart Building in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, March 3, 2015.

A wooden gavel and block is seen inside the Senate Hart Building in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, March 3, 2015. (Carlos Bongioanni/Stars and Stripes)


Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up