It's time to pay road taxes on Okinawa
By MATT ORR | STARS AND STRIPES Published: May 4, 2011
CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — It’s that time of the year again when Department of Defense personnel with registered vehicles must pay their annual road taxes.
For those new to the island, this means you must pay a tax based on the weight of your car. Once paid, you will receive a decal which is placed at the top-center of your windshield. This 2011 Road Tax decal must be displayed on all registered vehicles by June 1. Locations have been set up at military bases to make it convenient to pay the road tax.
For those who are unable to make it to one of the many locations on base, payments can still be made at the Road Tax Office near Camp Kinser’s Gate 4 (across the road from the Land Transportation Office) or through your vehicle’s insurance company. While anyone can pay road tax for deployed or absent vehicle owners, a power of attorney may be required to obtain a base decal for anyone other than a spouse.
Okinawa 2011 Road Taxes
Road taxes can be determined by the number shown on the top of each vehicle’s license plate, which identifies the vehicle’s engine size. For information, contact your base vehicle registration office.
Various plates and taxes:
• 40/400, 50/500, 77/78 plates: 7,500 yen
• 33/300 (4,500 cc and below): 19,000 yen
• 33/300 (4,500 cc and above): 22,000 yen
• 11/100, 88/800: 32,000 yen
Road tax for mini-cars and motorcycles:
• Mini-cars: 3,000 yen
• Motorcycles up to 126 cc: 500 yen. 126 cc and above: 1,000 yen
What to bring?
Drivers should bring these items when paying road tax on their base:
• Base driver’s license
• Liability insurance
• Japanese Compulsory Insurance
• Current base vehicle inspection
• Japanese vehicle title
• Military vehicle registration
• Certificate of title of motor vehicle (DD Form 430)
• Parking certificate, if applicable
A new base decal is issued at the end of the tax-paying procedure when road tax is paid on a U.S. installation. Drivers should be registered with the Defense Biometrics Identification System (DBIDS) to receive their new base decal.
Where and when to go?
• Camp Kinser: May 6 at Surf Side from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• Kadena Air Base: May 9-13 at the Keystone Movie Theater from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Camp Foster: May 16-18 at the base movie theater from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Camp Courtney: May 19-20 at the base movie theater from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• Torii Station: May 23 at the Chapel Annex from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Camp Hansen: May 24 at The Palms from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Camp Schwab: May 25 at Camp Services from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Please note that doors may close early before scheduled time based on number of customers in line. Payment must be made in Yen or U.S. Dollars. Checks and credit cards will not be accepted.
For more information contact the Joint Services Vehicle Registration Office at DSN 645-7481 or DSN 645-3963.