SEOUL — A Korean woman remained in critical condition Monday afternoon following a multi-vehicle pileup this weekend involving a U.S. servicemember, according to 8th Army officials.

The accident — involving a bus and nine cars — injured 16 people, according to the 8th Army’s public affairs office and South Korean police.

A 34-year-old woman suffered the most serious injuries, including broken ribs and internal bleeding, according to a written statement from 8th Army spokesman Capt. Kone Faulkner. She remained in the intensive care unit of a Seoul hospital on Monday afternoon, according to Faulkner.

The U.S. servicemember, whose name was unavailable Monday afternoon, was ticketed by South Korean authorities on a charge of failing to observe signals or instructions, according to U.S. Army officials. The servicemember was released to U.S. military police.

The accident occurred at Banpo Road in Seoul just before 7:30 p.m. The servicemember drove through a red light and hit the bus, causing it to veer into oncoming traffic, according to the 8th Army. That started a chain reaction involving eight other cars, according to the 8th Army.

U.S. officials issued a statement about the accident Monday afternoon.

“Eighth Army is sincerely concerned for those who were injured as the result of a vehicle accident involving a U.S. servicemember and a bus on March 26,” the statement read, in part. “The chain of command expresses its deepest sympathies to the families and friends of those who were injured in this unfortunate accident. The soldier’s chain of command is in contact with those who were most seriously injured and is providing full cooperation to the Korean National Police in the investigation of this accident.”

Army officials also said alcohol was not involved in the accident.

Another accident earlier Saturday did, however, involve a U.S. servicemember and alcohol, according to Korean authorities.

In that incident, a U.S. servicemember was charged with drunken driving early Saturday morning after he rear-ended a taxi in Itaewon, according to Yongsan police.

The servicemember, who is 37, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after his car hit a taxi at 3 a.m., according to police detective Jung Hyun-su. The detective did not release the servicemember’s full name.

After the cars crashed, the U.S. servicemember drove away, but the 66-year-old taxi driver pursued him in his cab, Jung said. The taxi driver caught up to him within a kilometer, near the Noksapyeong subway station, Jung said.

Police said the taxi driver went to the hospital to be checked for injuries.

Both USFK and Korean police continue to investigate the incident, Jung said.

Hwang Hae-rym contributed to this report.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now