Volksmarch column, Nov. 8
It’s time to pull out the calendar and mark the dates of these walks, which we think will be fun and exciting. We’ll provide more information as the dates draw nearer. All walks are in Germany unless noted otherwise.
• Nov. 22: Ramstein Turkey Trot;
• Dec. 1-2: Hüttigweiler;
• Dec. 8: Erstein, France, Christmas theme;
• Dec. 9: Ruhlkirchen, Christmas market;
• Dec. 9: Alt-Hürth, Christmas market;
• Dec. 15: Bastogne Historical Walk, Belgium;
• Dec. 22: Luxembourg city, Luxembourg, Christmas market;
• Dec. 29: Gemminich, Belgium, Marche des Crèches;
• Dec. 29: Bad Dürkheim;
• Dec. 30: Wolferstadt, torch walk;
• Dec. 30: Simpelveld, Netherlands, Oliebollen walk;
• Dec. 30: Tongeren, Belgium;
• Jan. 1: Peer, Belgium;
• Jan. 1: Nieder-Wiessen;
• Jan. 5-6: Vijlen, Netherlands;
• Jan. 12-13: Limburg an der Lahn with an old city walk;
• March 24: Champs, Belgium, Dead Man’s Ridge Walk;
• March 31: Spring ahead; Daylight Saving Time starts at 1 a.m.
The Ramstein Roadrunners’ Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving is only two weeks away. We hope you have cleared your morning schedule to participate in this unique volksmarchStart the 5- and 10- kilometer trails between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. from the Mehrzweckhalle at Am Kiefernkopf 20, in Miesenbach. Please finish by 3 p.m. so the club members can quickly clean up and get home to their Thanksgiving meals. The prize is a beer glass (in limited quantities) or a B-medal scarf with an Edelweiss design.
The Roadrunners could use some volunteer help to make this a successful walk. Whether it is helping set up, marking trails, staffing a control point, or cleaning up afterwards, they will certainly appreciate your help.Please contact them at Ramsteinroadrunners@yahoo.com to find out about volunteer opportunities.
We mentioned last week that the Ramstein Roadrunners are planning a bus trip to Strasbourg, France, on Dec. 9. Well, the Heidelberg International Wandering Club is heading there, too! The club will attend the Christmas market Dec. 8 and then proceed to the evening walk in Erstein. To sign up, contact Don.Casper1@t-online.de . There are 37 seats left, and the deadline is Nov. 26.
Email volksmarch information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail brochures to Bob and Lorraine Huffaker, CMR 460, Box 278, APO AE 09752.