Volksmarch column for the August 20, 2009 edition
Stars and Stripes August 20, 2009
It’s time to pull the calendar off the wall, grab the ol’ stubby pencil, and mark down some important volksmarch dates for this fall. This list will cover September and October as well as the Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot in Ramstein. All events are in Germany, except where otherwise noted.
• Sept. 5: Neckarsteinach, near Heidelberg. The evening of Sept. 5 is the last illumination of Heidelberg castle for this year.
• Sept. 6: Versailles, France.
• Sept. 6: Innsbruck, Austria.
• Sept. 12 and 13: St. Vith, Belgium.
• Sept. 12 and 13: Miesau.
• Sept. 12 and 13: Plombières, Belgium.
• Sept. 13: Echternach, Luxembourg.
• Sept. 19: Marche-en-Faemme, Belgium.
• Sept. 19: Wiltz, Luxembourg.
• Sept. 19 and 20: Heidelberg. This is one of the premier walks in Europe. More information will be coming as the dates draw nearer.
• Sept. 19 and 20: Kützberg. This is the first torch walk that we have found for the fall season.
• Sept. 20: Hahnstätten. We were blown away by the beautiful fall colors on this walk.
• Sept. 26 and 27: Schweinfurt.
• Sept. 26 and 27: Ittlingen.
• Sept. 26 and 27: Röhrmoos. Not too far from Munich and Oktoberfest!
• Oct. 2, 3 and 4: Fulda.
• Oct. 3: Dachsenhausen. This is a Ramstein Roadrunners’ bus trip with a side trip to Boppard’s wine festival and Rhine in Flames fireworks display.
• Oct. 10 and 11: Grafenwöhr. The prize is a lion doll in a Bavarian outfit.
• Oct. 10 and 11: Heidelberg-Emmertsgrund.
• Oct. 17: Strasbourg, France. An evening walk.
• Oct. 18: Böblingen.
• Oct. 24 and 25: Montenau, Belgium.
• Oct. 24 and 25: Winningen.
• Oct. 25, 1 a.m.: Daylight-saving time ends in Europe (it ends in the United States the following week).
• Nov. 26: Ramstein Turkey Trot. This is another premier walk, and since it is on a holiday, most should be able to attend.
• • •
Saturday afternoon we will be walking across the historic countryside near Eben-Emael, Belgium. We’ll be looking for the busload of Heidelberg International Wandering Club members who are in our neighborhood for the weekend.
• • •
Monday evening will be the 13th and final walk in the Summer Evening Walk Series in St. Odiliënberg, Netherlands. We were not able to attend every walk, but the ones we did attend were very nice. The W.V. Roerdal ’87 club has always put on well-organized events, and these walks were no exception. We are looking forward to the fall walk.
• • •
Miscellaneous notes about this week’s volksmarch events:
• This weekend’s walks in Lambsborn and Schiersfeld are convenient for members of the Kaiserslautern military community.
• A ceramic cookie jar is the prize at Karlsruhe-Hohenwettersbach, Germany, this weekend. Start the six, 10- and 18-kilometer routes at the Lustgarten-Halle between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. Sunday.
• The walk in Polch, is very close to the castles at Burg Eltz and Burg Pyramont. Why not stop and visit a castle afterward?
• The town of Titisee-Neustadt invites you to walk its permanent volksmarch trail in addition to its annual walk on Saturday. Since they are two different events, you can earn two event stamps as well as get credit for an extra 11 kilometers. The start hall for both walks is the Hotel-Gasthaus Zur Traube.
• The food prize given at Villanova di Pordenone, Italy, is usually cheese. This is a flat walk in conjunction with a festival and will have food available at the end.
E-mail volksmarch information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail brochures to Bob and Lorraine Huffaker, CMR 460, Box 278, APO, AE, 09752.