Support our mission

YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — While South Korean government officials say at least 10 computer systems were hacked earlier this year, U.S. Forces Korea denied local media reports that its networks had been hacked by Korean or Chinese computer users.

“While USFK networks have hundreds of scans or probes from the Internet daily, our networks are heavily defended. There is no evidence of USFK networks hacked by either Korean or Chinese sources at any time,” a USFK release said.

Several South Korean media outlets reported last week that a group of Chinese hackers had penetrated secure systems associated with U.S. military bases in South Korea, Japan, Germany, Australia and Singapore.

The reported hacking took place in March, the reports said. While South Korean intelligence agencies said Tuesday that 10 government computer systems were hacked by unidentified Chinese users, USFK said its systems were never affected.

“The network was never compromised,” the USFK statement said.

However, according to the Yonhap news agency, U.S. military officials did acknowledge that a special computer-crimes team from the Pentagon was sent to South Korea in March to investigate attacks.

Last week, South Korean officials said nearly 300 computers in 10 government agencies had been attacked by computer hackers in recent months. The officials said they believed the attacks were undertaken from either North Korea or China.

The affected systems included computers at the National Assembly, the Korea Institute for Defense Analysis and the Agency for Defense Development, the officials said.

The South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade also requested assistance from the Chinese government in a probe of the suspected hacking, a spokesman said Friday.


Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up