A view of the F-35 cockpit from above.

A U.S. Air Force F-35A stealth fighter jet is refueled over the Middle East. (U.S. Central Command)

By LARA KORTE 
STARS AND STRIPES

Editor’s note: This story was updated July 14 at 9:25 a.m.

Air raid sirens sounded across the Middle East again on Tuesday morning as Iran retaliated for the latest U.S. strikes hours after President Donald Trump ordered the reinstatement of the naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz.

American forces struck dozens of military targets overnight, marking the third consecutive day of attacks meant to degrade Iran’s ability to target commercial shipping in the strait, according to U.S. Central Command.

Sites in Bushehr, Chabahar, Jask, Konarak, Abu Musa and Bandar Abbas were hit in the strikes, which targeted coastal defense systems, missile and drone sites and maritime capabilities, CENTCOM said.

The strikes began just after midnight in Iran and concluded around 7 a.m., according to the command.

Tuesday saw yet another escalation as the two nations wrestle for control of the Strait of Hormuz, which is a critical commercial corridor for nearly a fifth of the globe’s oil.

Trump said the day before that the U.S. will resume a blockade of Iranian ships. All other vessels are free to transit provided the U.S. is paid 20% of the value of all cargo shipped, Trump said.

The fee will be charged as a “matter of FAIRNESS” in exchange for providing safety and security in this “very volatile section of the World,” he wrote on Truth Social.

The U.S. resumed attacks over the weekend after Iran targeted commercial ships moving through the strait. Both sides have accused the other of violating the memorandum of understanding signed last month in an effort to end the hostilities.

Iran responded with its own wave of attacks targeting U.S. forces in Bahrain and Jordan on Tuesday morning.

In Bahrain, alarms sounded at least three times as the interior ministry warned residents to take shelter from incoming missiles. No damage or injuries were immediately reported. Bahrain is home to Naval Forces Central Command and the U.S. 5th Fleet.

Jordan shot down four missiles launched from Iran, according to the country’s Jordan News Agency. There were no reports of any casualties or damage.

Iran also said it had hit two “rogue” tankers moving through the strait after they ignored warnings and crossed restricted water routes, according to the semi-official Fars news outlet.

The U.K. Maritime Trade Operations Centre, an international monitoring agency, said Tuesday that a tanker had been hit off the coast of Oman, without providing any further details.

Another tanker had reported a strike earlier Monday evening, according to the agency.

The war started Feb. 28 with joint U.S. and Israeli strikes that killed a number of top members of the Iranian government, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Iran responded by raining down missiles and drones on American military bases around the Middle East and choking off traffic in the Strait of Hormuz.

An interim peace deal reached last month has repeatedly been tested by attacks. Talks aimed at fully reopening the waterway, halting Tehran’s nuclear program and ending the war are on hold.

Iran

CENTCOM

Featured on Instagram