2 Navy civilians die in separate incidents in Bahrain
May 2, 2016
MANAMA, Bahrain — Two Navy civilians died last week in non-combat-related incidents, the Department of Defense announced Monday.
Marcus D. Prince, 22, of Norfolk, Va., died April 26 in Juffair, Bahrain. Michael M. Baptiste, 60, of Brooklyn, N.Y., died April 28 in Juffair, Bahrain.
The circumstances surrounding the deaths are not related, a 5th Fleet official said Monday.
Prince, a merchant marine assigned to the USNS Pecos, was found dead in a hotel room during a port call, the official said. His death is under investigation, though no foul play is suspected, the official said. USNS Pecos is a replenishment oiler.
Baptiste was a marine surveyor assigned to Forward Deployed Regional Maintenance Center Detachment Bahrain at Naval Support Activity Bahrain. The unit’s mission is to provide engineering and technical services for maintenance and modernization of naval ships and craft in the Fifth Fleet area of responsibility.
Baptiste also served 24 years in the Navy and reached the rank of chief petty officer. During his time served, he received various awards including the Kuwait Liberation medal, a medal authorized by the Government of Kuwait to members of the U.S. military who participated in Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm and the Liberation of Kuwait.
Naval Sea Systems Command Public Affairs said no further details about Baptiste were available Monday.
“Our condolences go out to both the families of these shipmates at this time,” the 5th Fleet official said.