Subscribe

Individuals interested in the annual Battle of the Bulge remembrance, particularly the memorial walk, will have to wait until later this month to access a Web site for the event, an organizer said Tuesday.

Organizers recently took down the site temporarily to clear out some outdated material and post new information, especially on the upcoming event scheduled for the weekend of Dec. 15-16, said Ed Lapotsky, one of the organizers of the walk.

Lapotsky expects the site — www.bastogne.jemesouviens.fr — to be accessible the second half of this month. Organizers are meeting Oct. 13 in Bastogne, Belgium, the emblematic center of the conflict, to hash out final details. The Web site should be restored a couple of days after the planning session, Lapotsky said.

Thousands of people visit Bastogne each December to honor the largest land battle in Army history. The annual walk, now in its 30th year, highlights different sections of the perimeter defense each year. This time the focus will be on an area northwest of Bastogne, including the towns of Hemroulle, Champs and Longchamps. The walk will end in downtown Bastogne.

Airman gets 3 years in jail for indecent acts, other violationsRAF MILDENHALL, England — A 501st Combat Support Wing noncommissioned officer has been sentenced to three years of confinement as part of a pretrial plea agreement, authorities said.

Tech. Sgt. Ruben N. Ablang pleaded guilty Monday to four charges, including indecent acts with a minor, misuse of a ration card, disobeying a no-contact order and lying about the loss of his ration card, according to a base spokesman.

Ablang acknowledged using his ration card to buy alcohol and tobacco and then resell them in London as well as fondling and kissing a victim under the age of 16, according to court records.

Ablang will serve 24 months of the sentence as part of his plea agreement, will be reclassified as an airman and will be dishonorably discharged from the Air Force, authorities said.

Joint exercise to bring more F-15s above England’s skiesRAF LAKENHEATH, England — Expect to see more F-15 fighter jets and other fighters in the skies above England during the week of Oct. 22 when a joint exercise kicks off here.

Royal Air Force and NATO allies will be joining F-15s from RAF Lakenheath during the Joint Fires Center of Excellence exercise, according to a U.S. Air Force press release. The Air Force also said F-15s will be conducting regular night flying operations until further notice.

Sigonella helicopter squadron disestablished after 24 yearsThe Navy’s “Black Stallions” of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron 4, which had been stationed at Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily, until summer 2006, officially disestablished Friday after 24 years of service, according to a Navy press statement.

The disestablishment ceremony took place at Naval Station Norfolk, Va.

Last year in Sigonella, a Navy air base on the Italian island of Sicily, the squadron marked a bittersweet close to an era of 23 years in Europe, providing heavy-lift combat support for units in the 5th Fleet and 6th Fleet areas of responsibility.

Before leaving Sigonella last year, some of the squadron’s members did a seven-month deployment to the Middle East, carrying out several hundred combat missions and filling the Army’s void of medium- and heavy-lift helicopters in the region.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up