August will be a festive month on several U.S. military bases in Japan and on Okinawa that will open their gates to off-base visitors. Visitors must provide an official photo identification or passport to enter bases. Here’s a rundown of festivals:
• YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE — Annual Navy Friendship Day. Gates will be open from 10 a.m. to 8:10 p.m. Aug. 7. The event will feature a car show, games, ship tours, and fireworks display starting at 7:30 p.m. Off-base visitors may enter through Womble Gate near Mikasa Park. Alcohol, bottles, hazardous materials and pets are prohibited. For more information, call DSN 241-2209.
• CAMP ZAMA — Bon Odori Festival. Gates will be open from 10:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 7. Events will include live entertainment, bon dancing, street performers, games, and a fireworks show at 8:30 p.m. Visitors may enter through the north gate. Large bags, backpacks, alcohol, glass bottles, cooler boxes, skateboards, bicycles, pets and hazardous materials are prohibited. No unauthorized vehicles will be admitted. For more information, call DSN 263-5712 or commercial 046-407-5712.
• NAVAL AIR FACILITY ATSUGI — American Festival and Bon Odori. Gates will be open from noon to 5 p.m. Aug. 14. Events include a Bon Odori celebration, taiko drumming and games. Guests may enter through the main gate. Pets, alcohol, bottles and other hazardous materials are prohibited. For more information, call commercial 046-778-2664.
• YOKOTA AIR BASE — Japanese-American Friendship Festival. Gates will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Aug. 21 and 22. Events include music, martial arts demonstrations and various performances, culminating with a fireworks show at 8:25 p.m. Sunday. Guests may enter through Gate 5 (the Ushihama Gate). Large bags, alcohol, glass bottles and cooler boxes and hazardous materials are prohibited. Non-U.S. or Japanese citizens interested in attending the festival should call the Public Affairs Office at commercial 042-552-2511 for more information.
• MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA — Flightline Fair. Open to all SOFA status personnel and local nationals with access to MCAS Futenma. Gates will be open from 3 to 10 p.m. Aug. 7 and 1 to 10 p.m. Aug. 8. Events will include static aircraft displays, game booths, rides and live music. Free shuttle buses will provide transportation to and from designated parking lots on the base. No pets, outside alcohol, bottles, or coolers are allowed. For more information, call DSN 645-5828 or visit www.mccsokinawa.com.