Guam’s government has extended a deadline for taking public comments on the planned U.S. military buildup on the island.
The territorial government reopened public input earlier this month on the relocation of 8,600 Okinawa Marines due to what it called unresolved concerns over military plans.
Residents were asked to submit comments by Aug. 24, but the deadline has now been moved to Sept. 2 because response was lower than expected, said Paul Shintaku, executive director of the Guam Buildup Office.
The comments, which include input from government agencies, will be forwarded to the Navy for consideration as it prepares to make final decisions on how to manage the military buildup.
Assistant Secretary of the Navy Jackie Pfannenstiel is expected to sign a record of decision on Sept. 10 that will set the construction and relocation into motion.
The local U.S. command coordinating the move, the Guam Joint Program Office, said the comments will be accepted and forwarded for consideration.