YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — A military policeman was sentenced Tuesday to two months’ confinement, a $2,000 fine and a reduction of two ranks — from sergeant first class to sergeant — after he admitted to an adulterous affair with a younger soldier within his own platoon, according court-martial proceedings.

But James E. Thompson, who enlisted 19½ years ago, was spared a discharge from the Army, and he promised to retire as soon as he is eligible, he told the court in a tearful statement.

“I’m no longer fit to serve in the Army,” a weeping Thompson told Col. Gregory Gross, chief judge for the 6th Judicial Circuit. “I am totally ashamed and humbled to be here today … I have fallen from my path.”

Earlier in court, Thompson, 47, admitted to having a sexual relationship with Pfc. Lindsey Bishop, who also is a member of Bravo Platoon, 557th Military Police Company within the 8th Military Police Brigade.

The affair took place over six days in March at Camp Long and on another day in April at Camp Humphreys, according to court papers. At both times, Thompson was Bishop’s platoon sergeant. He admitted that the rumors and speculation surrounding the affair hurt his leadership abilities and his unit.

“My soldiers found out,” Thompson told the court. “It had a detrimental effect on discipline and morale.”

He explained in court that his “open-door” policy with his soldiers went from receiving phone calls and text messages from Bishop to a flirtatious exchange that he should have stopped. On March 5, she came to his barracks to talk about scheduling, he told the judge. Their conversation turned amorous, he said.

Thompson pleaded guilty to having an improper relationship, two specifications of adultery and making a false statement to an investigator. He had faced a maximum of one year’s confinement, two-thirds pay reduction for a year, reduction in rank to private and a bad-conduct discharge.

He pleaded not guilty to charges that accused him of contacting Bishop on two days in April after he was ordered not to and wrongfully impeding an investigation by telling Bishop to withhold information from investigators. Prosecutors dropped those charges, which were dismissed by Gross.

Bishop, who was married at the time of the affair, has faced no punishment or criminal accusations as of Tuesday, her company commander, Capt. Na Vong, testified. Vong said she was awaiting the results of Thompson’s case before considering any action concerning Bishop.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now