Walker GIs await possible charges
A South Korean prosecutor will decide whether to try six Camp Walker soldiers accused of attacking two women outside a restaurant last month, a Daegu Central police spokesman said, noting an investigation has been completed.
The soldiers allegedly punched and kicked two South Korean women who tried to stop them from vandalizing a sign outside the restaurant around 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 18. All six soldiers have denied hitting the women.
The Daegu prosecutor is expected to decide within three months whether to try the soldiers on charges of inflicting bodily injury, the police spokesman said.
The South Korean women, a 37-year-old and her mother, 59, own the restaurant.
During police questioning a few days after the attack, the U.S. soldiers said they were attacked by South Korean onlookers outside the restaurant. They denied striking the women and said they weren’t going to offer them financial compensation.
The restaurant owners said onlookers had no physical contact with the soldiers. The onlookers said they watched the scuffle and then called police.
Maj. Jerome Pionk, 8th U.S. Army spokesman, said no charges have been filed, and the soldiers — four men and two women — were released to their units pending the results of a joint U.S. military-Korean police investigation.
The soldiers are with the 18th Medical Command and the 1st Signal Brigade, both headquartered at Yongsan Garrison in Seoul, he said.