How much money will I get under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

By STARS AND STRIPES Published: January 13, 2011

You or your school (Click here for approved school information) will receive a percentage, as determined by length of active duty service, of the following:

  • Amount of tuition and fees charged, not to exceed  the most expensive in-State public institution of higher education. If the tuition and fees at the school you wish to attend are higher than the most expensive in-State tuition, your school may choose to participate in the "Yellow Ribbon" program. Click here for more information 
  • Effective August 1, 2011 all in-state tuition & fee charges are reimbursed at public institutions of higher learning.  For private and foreign institutions of higher learning  the tuition & fee reimbursement is capped at $17,500 per year however the Yellow Ribbon program still applies. To see a state-by-state listing of schools participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program click here.
  • Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing (BAH) amount payable to E-5 with dependents, in same zip code as school* Click here to determine your BAH rate   BAH for veterans training overseas is $1,347.00 a month for 2011 which is the average amount for all CONUS locations. 
  • Effective October 1, 2011 those enrolled solely in distance learning will receive a housing allowance equal to 1/2 the national average.
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000**
  • A one time payment of $500 may be payable to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

*Housing allowance is not payable to individuals on active duty, or those pursuing training at half-time or less. Effective August 1, 2011 your housing allowance will be prorated to match your training time. 

** Effective October 1, 2011 the books and supplies stipend is available to active duty individuals.

Individuals must serve an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of:


Active Duty Completed

Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable

At least 36 months


At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability


30 months to 36 months


24 months to 30 months


18 months to 24 months


12 months to 18 months


6 months to 12 months


90 days to 6 months



Tuition and Fees charged for full time:  $6700
Highest In-State Tuition and Fees:   $7000

Example 1:  If you served for three years on active duty and separated,  and you are going to school full-time,  in the above example you would be eligible for $6700 for tuition and fees, the monthly housing allowance, and $1000 for books and supplies.

Example 2:
  If you served an aggregated 12 months of active duty service in the guard or reserves, and are going to school full-time, you would be eligible for $4020 (60% of $6700) for tuition and fees, 60% of housing allowance, and $600 (60% of $1000) for books and supplies stipend.

Information provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs


comments Join the conversation and share your voice!  

from around the web