Quantcast

Bond reduced to $300K for accused killer of Army veteran in North Carolina

By JOYCE ORLANDO | Gaston Gazette | Published: October 14, 2020

(Tribune News Service) — A man accused of shooting a U.S. Army veteran in the back on June 12 got his bond reduced in court this week.

Jalen Aric Lipscomb, 23, of Shelby, N.C., is accused of killing Christopher Carson after the two got in an argument.

Carson, 32, was found dead at his Rocky Brook Drive home after a 911 call was made by a person at the house, according to investigators with the Shelby Police Department.

"The decedent was reportedly at his residence where there had been a 'large gathering' the night before. A friend was sleeping on the couch when the next morning he heard several gunshots and then found the decedent on the floor in another room. He was pronounced dead at the scene," according to the medical examiner's report.

In Cleveland County Superior Court on Monday, Lipscomb's attorney, John Bridges, asked the court to lower his client's $1 million bond, citing his ties to the community and his only conviction being out of South Carolina for possession of a weapon.

Cleveland County Assistant District Attorney Richard Shaffer expressed concern.

"He was out on bond for carrying a concealed weapon," Shaffer said.

Shaffer said the violent nature of the crime is a factor in why the District Attorney's office did not extend a plea offer, Shaffer said.

"He is a danger to society, and his bond should stay where it is," Shaffer said.

Superior Court Judge Don Bridges ruled to lower Lipscomb's bond to $300,000 with the stipulation that if Lipscomb makes bond that he was not to have any guns and that there would be warrantless searches to make sure he was complying.

©2020 Gaston Gazette, Gastonia, N.C.
Visit Gaston Gazette, Gastonia, N.C. at www.gastongazette.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.