Trial set for Robins airman charged with killing fiancee, unborn child

Charles Amos Wilson III


By BECKY PURSER | The Macon Telegraph (Tribune News Service) | Published: September 8, 2016

A Jan. 9 trial date has been set for a Robins Air Force Base airman accused of killing his fiancee and her unborn child for $1 million in insurance money.

Charles Amos Wilson III, 29, a support member of the 461st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, is charged with the premeditated murder in the fatal shooting of Tameda Ferguson, 30, at her Dawson home in August 2013. Ferguson was 8-1/2 months pregnant.

Wilson was arrested two days later on charges of murder and feticide after an investigation by the GBI and Terrell County Sheriff’s Office.

The case was later turned over to the Air Force at its request. Wilson’s military charges include premeditated murder and death of an unborn child. Wilson may face the death penalty if convicted of premeditated murder.

The trial will be the third courts-martial proceeding against Wilson. The trial is expected to be held at the Houston County Courthouse.

In the first courts-martial proceeding, a military jury found Wilson not guilty June 2 of felony murder and aggravated arson in the death of a friend in an alleged insurance fraud scheme. The jury also found Wilson not guilty of conspiracy, burning with intent to defraud and obstruction of justice.

Infini Hardy, the widow of the fire victim, Demetrius Hardy, faces trial Oct. 17 in Houston County Superior Court on two counts of arson and one count of burglary in the 2011 fire.

She testified against Wilson at his trial. But his defense attorneys argued that she and her husband acted independently of Wilson in a burglary that went terribly wrong. The fire was allegedly set to cover up the burglary.

Wilson’s attorneys also argued that Infini Hardy only implicated Wilson two years after the fire when she was indicted and faced incarceration and losing her three children to foster care upon conviction.

She is free on a $10,000 bond pending trial.

In the second courts-martial proceeding, jurors convicted Wilson on June 10 of striking a retired technical sergeant, who was his girlfriend at the time.

Jurors also found Wilson not guilty of the other charges against him in the July 20, 2012 incident.

Wilson was convicted of striking retired Tech. Sgt. Denise Forrest with his hands when he became angry during an argument about a phone.

Wilson was sentenced to six months of confinement and a reduction in rank from senior airman. He received credit for time served pending trial.

He is being held at a military facility pending trial in the third courts-martial proceeding.

©2016 The Macon Telegraph (Macon, Ga.)
Visit The Macon Telegraph (Macon, Ga.) at www.macon.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.