Norfolk Naval Shipyard placed on brief lockdown Monday after false shooter report
By DANA HEDGPETH | The Washington Post | Published: February 11, 2020
A miscommunication led to a two-minute lockdown Monday at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, officials said.
The incident unfolded about 11:30 a.m. at the facility. Terri Davis, a spokeswoman for the shipyard, said in an email that the "sheltering alarm" and the facility in Portsmouth, Virginia, was put on lockdown "in response to a potential active shooter," but it was quickly determined that the initial information was wrong.
Davis said in an email that a contractor aboard the USS George H.W. Bush "suffered an electric shock," which was "interpreted as someone had been 'shot' instead of shocked."
The shipyard went under a lockdown based on that initial report. She said the lockdown lasted about two minutes and was lifted when it was determined to be a miscommunication.
Davis said the contractor who was shocked was in stable condition.