'Most dangerous military town' in America is in Alabama
By LEADA GORE | Alabama Media Group | Published: May 10, 2019
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Tribune News Service) — The safest military town in America is Quantico, Virginia, home to Marine Corps Base Quantico.
The most dangerous military town is found further south in Alabama.
Security company Vivintsource.com looked at Navy, Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard installations to identify the 10 safest and 10 least-safe military towns in the nation. The rankings were determined by looking at more than 200 active U.S. military bases from all five branches of armed services then examining the FBI’s 2017 Uniform Crime Reports data for these areas, focusing particularly on violent and property crime rates per capita.
Among the ten safest military towns, three reported zero incidents of violent crime per 100,000 residents: Quantico, VA; Shiremanstown, PA; and Lakehurst, NJ. Lakehurst also has an overall national crime rate 52 percent lower than the national average.
The top 10 safest military towns were:
1. Quantico, Virginia - Marine Corps Base Quantico
2. Shiremanstown, Pennsylvania - Naval Support Activity Mechanicsburg
3. Bedford, Massachusetts - Hanscom Air Force Base
4. Colts Neck Township, - Naval Weapons Station Earle (Navy)
5. Satellite Beach, Florida – Patrick Air Force Base
6. Rockaway, New Jersey – Picatinny Arsenal (Army)
7. Lakehurst, New Jersey – Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst
8. Oak Harbor, Washington – Naval Air Station Whidbey Island
9. White Hall, Arkansas – Pine Bluff Arsenal (Army)
10. Sandwich, Massachusetts – Air Station Cape Cod (Coast Guard)
On the opposite end of the spectrum was Anniston Army Depot in Alabama. Anniston was ranked the most dangerous military town in America. The town, according to Vivint, wasn’t just in the “ten most dangerous military towns – it has one of the highest crime rates in the country.”
The 10 most dangerous military towns were:
1. Anniston, Alabama – Anniston Army Depot
2. Leesville, Louisiana – Fort Polk (Army)
3. Baltimore, Maryland – Coast Guard Yard, Surfaces Forces Logistics
4. Miami Beach, Florida – ISC Miami (Coast Guard)
5. Edinburgh, Indiana – Camp Atterbury (Army)
6. Cleveland, Ohio – ISC Cleveland Coast Guard Base
7. Pineville, Louisiana – Camp Beauregard (Army)
8. Anchorage, Alaska – Elmendorf Air Force Base
9. Texarkana, Texas – Red River Army Depot
10. Albany, Georgia – MCLB Albany (Army)