Quantcast

Minneapolis mayor wants $530,000 for rally security; Trump campaign threatens lawsuit

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey attends a briefing in Minneapolis on Aug. 15, 2019. Frey wants to charge President Donald Trump's campaign $530,000 for security costs related to an upcoming rally in Minneapolis. Trump's campaign says Frey is "conjuring a phony and outlandish bill for security" that far exceeded that for a 2009 event in the same building by then-President Barack Obama.

AP

By ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: October 8, 2019

MINNEAPOLIS — President Donald Trump's campaign is threatening to sue Minneapolis for trying to force it to pay $530,000 in security costs for this week's rally in the city.

Trump's campaign accused Mayor Jacob Frey, who has been critical of the president, of "conjuring a phony and outlandish bill for security" at Thursday's rally at Target Center.

The campaign said arena management attempted to pass the costs to the campaign under threat of withholding use of the arena. It also said the sum was far more than that for a 2009 health care rally at the building by President Barack Obama.

The Star Tribune says the city based its estimate on methodology for past major events like the 2018 Super Bowl and Final Four.

Frey said when Trump's rally was announced last month that Trump's "message of hatred" was unwelcome. However, Trump wrote Tuesday on his twitter page that more than 72,000 tickets for his rally have already been requested.

Neither Minneapolis' city attorney nor the operator of Target Center immediately responded to messages Tuesday.

Another point of contention involves a rule change made by the mayor days before the rally that  bans law enforcement officers from wearing their uniforms to political events.

In response, Trump-supporting police officers are planning to wear bright red shirts that say: "Cops for Trump." The shirts are selling faster than they can be stocked, Lt. Bob Kroll with the Minneapolis Police Department said on Fox News.
 

from around the web