Five California evacuees test negative for coronavirus, return to Travis quarantine
By DARRELL SMITH | The Sacramento Bee | Published: February 12, 2020
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Tribune News Service) — All five evacuees hospitalized with possible coronavirus symptoms after landing at Travis Air Force Base last week have tested negative for the deadly illness, Solano County health officials said Wednesday.
“They did not test affirmative for coronavirus and they returned to the base,” said Gerald Huber, Solano County Director of Social and Health Services.
Four of the evacuees were among the 201 who landed Feb. 7 at the base near Fairfield. They were sent to hospital and quickly placed in isolation where U.S. Centers for Disease Control and other health workers monitored them for symptoms.
By Tuesday afternoon, the four, and a fifth patient – a child who developed fever aboard the first flight to Travis Feb. 5 – were determined not to have coronavirus symptoms and were returned to Travis to complete their quarantine, Huber said.
In a statement, CDC officials said samples tested Tuesday showed all five were negative for the virus, now known as COVID-19.
CDC officials added that passengers quarantined at Travis total 233 instead of a previously reported 234. One of the passengers was being screened and counted twice daily because of a clerical error.
©2020 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.