Barricaded man found dead after 16½-hour standoff in Groton, Conn.

By CHRISTINE DEMPSEY | The Hartford Courant | Published: January 9, 2019

GROTON, Conn. (Tribune News Service) — An armed man holed up in military housing for more than 16 hours during a standoff that brought local, state and federal authorities to his Groton neighborhood was found dead Wednesday afternoon, state police said.

The man was found in one of the bedrooms of the Orion Avenue house when the state police SWAT team went inside at 12:05 p.m., Trooper Tanya Compagnone said. She wouldn’t say if the man was a member of the armed services, but she said the home is considered Navy housing. The naval submarine base is nearby.

In addition to Groton officers and a SWAT team from the state police, tactical teams from Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the FBI were at the scene, Compagnone said. The Naval Criminal Investigation Service also was there.

No one else was injured during the standoff, which started about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Groton officers were called to a disturbance at the home and when they arrived, a woman told them her husband was in the house and had fired a handgun, police said.

Police took the wife and two young children out of the home, and nearby houses were evacuated, they said. Officers surrounded the house.

Police tried in vain to make contact with the man via cellphone and other means for hours, working through the morning, they said.

Using special equipment, police determined that the man was alone in the home with a gun. At one point early in the morning, they could see him moving around inside, Compagnone said.

Police never fired shots into the house, she said. The man apparently shot himself, but police have to wait for the medical examiner to officially determine the precise cause and manner of death, she said.

©2019 The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.)
Visit The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.) at www.courant.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

from around the web