U.S. soldier sentenced in South Korea bottle attack
January 13, 2006
UIJEONGBU, South Korea — A U.S. soldier who attacked a man with a beer bottle in July was sentenced to 2½ years in South Korean prison on Wednesday.
But chief judge Kim Byung-ju, of the Uijeongbu District Court, suspended the sentence for three years, warning Pfc. Anthony Walker Jr. not to be “involved in another crime.”
As part of the ruling, the judge stated Walker showed remorse for the crime and paid a settlement to the victim, Cho Su-whan.
Walker paid Cho $15,000 in connection with the assault, both Cho and 2nd Infantry Division officials have said.
Cho was walking in an alley in Uijeongbu on July 2 when he passed three soldiers, he said. They bumped shoulders in the narrow alley, Cho had testified, and he apologized in English.
Moments later he was whirled around and struck in the face with a beer bottle, he told the court during previous testimony.
The 34-year-old chef testified that he’s been out of work since the attack and that he’s had multiple surgeries to repair the damage and scars.
Walker told Stars and Stripes on Wednesday that he thought he had been treated fairly by the court and was satisfied with the sentence, which he won’t appeal.