Support our mission
 

Two Kuwaiti men who were captured in Afghanistan and spent four years at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were sent back to Kuwait to face investigation and possible trial, the Pentagon said late Thursday.

The men were transferred after an “Administrative Review Board decision” before a military panel, the Pentagon said. After the transfer, there were some 130 detainees left at Guantanamo “eligible for transfer or release.”

While the Pentagon did not name the two men, a Kuwaiti rights group and their lawyers identified them as Omar Rajab Amin and Abdullah Kamel al-Kandari.

David Cynamon, a lawyer for the men, told news agencies that the men had been captured by “bounty hunters” in Afghanistan and held as enemy combatants. The men will face possible trial in Kuwait, though the six previous Kuwaitis sent back to that country have been cleared by their government.

The transfer of the men came a week after Kuwait’s Emir Sheik Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah visited the White House.

Migrated

stars and stripes videos

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up