Support our mission
 

SEOUL — Three men arrested in connection with the discovery of 12 tons of U.S. munitions in an off-base warehouse face grand larceny charges while one South Korean man who worked for the U.S. military remains at large in connection with the case, police officials said Friday.

Yangju police detective Im Il-soon said three men are in custody awaiting trial and officials still are seeking a 47-year-old man named Kim who worked for the 17th Ordnance Company, which operates from the Kwangsa-ri ammunition depot, south of Tongducheon.

U.S. military officials have said they’re participating in the investigation.

Yangju police officials said the three men in custody brokered a deal between Kim and a man who paid about $30,000 for the casings — and live ammunition — as scrap metal.

The man was not arrested, police said, because they believe he didn’t realize the merchandise was stolen.

Im said the boxes of ammunition — including 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm and .50 caliber rounds and shell casings — were given back to the U.S. military late last week.

Migrated

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up