Support our mission

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — A third suspect is being sought in the Jan. 7 robbery of a cabbie on Camp Foster.

Okinawa prefectural police Tuesday said the third person, identified as a Marine, may have returned to the United States after the robbery.

“The third suspect’s name is yet to be released,” said Deputy Chief Ryotoku Shinya of the Ginowan precinct. “The Okinawa Prefectural Police was informed by the military that he has returned to the United States. The military has yet to reply to a question from the OPP concerning his reason for his leaving Okinawa.”

On Monday, Okinawa police referred charges of robbery against two Marines to the Naha District Public Prosecutor’s Office. They were identified by an Okinawa police spokesman as Lance Cpl. Henry Dwayne Morgan, 20, and Lance Cpl. Reginald Q. Lowery Jr., 21, both assigned to Camp Foster.

Marine officials have not confirmed their names or unit affiliations. They are being held in the brig on Camp Hansen pending indictment in Naha General District Court.

“It would be inappropriate to discuss the details of an ongoing investigation,” a Marine spokesman said Tuesday afternoon.

According to Shinya, Lowery called a taxi and Morgan was the one believed to have actually committed the crime.

“The three had gathered in a barracks room and plotted the attack,” he said.

According to the Okinawa police report, the 61-year-old cabbie said the person who approached his cab displayed a knife and demanded he exit the car. He said he gave the robber a box containing about 5,000 yen ($44) and $5 in U.S. currency. The robber then walked toward the rear of barracks 217.

The driver was not injured.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service offered a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the robbers and identified the first two suspects the last week of January. It was not clear Tuesday whether the reward offer led to the suspects.

According to Marine officials, the apprehensions of the two suspects were made after NCIS agents interviewed more than 350 people, reviewed hours of videotape and conducted a re-creation of the crime.

In an unrelated case, an Okinawa police spokesman said an investigation has been completed into the alleged theft of a wallet from another cab driver on Camp Foster on Jan. 22.

The cabbie reported his wallet missing after transporting five women from a barracks on Camp Foster to the Globe and Anchor Club. According to the police spokesman, one of the five women was tracked down by military investigators and admitted to the theft.

The woman has not been publicly named by the Marines or Okinawa police, who are preparing to present a charge of theft to the prosecutor’s office.

It was not clear Tuesday whether the suspect was being held in confinement by the military or restricted to base.


around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up