Subscribe

FALLUJAH, Iraq — A suicide bomber strapped with explosives killed himself and at least 15 men in line at an Iraqi police recruiting station on Wednesday in Fallujah, U.S. officials said.

Conflicting reports had the death toll varying between 15 and 20, with Iraqi officials saying at least another 20 people were injured in the attack early Wednesday morning in the downtown area. No U.S. servicemembers were among those killed or wounded, officials said.

The bombing continues a wave of attacks on the rebuilding Iraqi security forces, a campaign that has included intimidation, attacks and kidnappings.

Fallujah is patrolled by a mix of U.S. Marines assigned to the 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, Iraq army and Iraqi police. Attacks there in recent weeks have increased, though much of the violence in Anbar province has focused on the capital of Ramadi.

According to Marine officials, the bomber struck a line of young men waiting to pass through security checkpoints at the recruiting station. A similar attack in Ramadi earlier this year killed scores of recruits, but did not deter some others from getting back into line after the attack.

New agencies quoted medical officials in Fallujah as saying most of those injured on Wednesday were in critical condition. Shortly after the attack, a Marine quick reaction force was called to the scene.

Other wire service reports also said that three recently graduated Iraqi army recruits were killed in their homes outside of Fallujah. More than 970 recruits had graduated from an American-run academy at Habbaniyah on Sunday.

Also, the U.S. military said Wednesday that the governor of Anbar province survived an assassination attempt the day before.

Gov. Maamoon Sami Rasheed al-Awani was headed to work Tuesday in Ramadi when a suicide car bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle near the governor’s convoy. The attack killed 10 civilians and injured five members of the governor’s security detail; Maamoon was not injured.

A convoy of Marines responded to the attack, came under small-arms fire and engaged in a short firefight, said Marine Corps Lt. Col. Bryan Salas, a military spokesman. No Marines were injured, and it was unclear if any insurgents were killed.

According to a U.S. military news release, Maamoon estimated it was the 29th assassination attempt targeting him. In 2005, his son was kidnapped and later released.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up