Bobby Killough - Army

My part of the perimeter was hit with a human wave attack around 11 p.m. Dec 31, 1967, after a devastating mortar and rocket attack. NVA and Viet Cong embarked on a ground attack and remained engaged until about 9 a.m. Jan. 1, 1968.

We were fighting all night long under heavy enemy small arms, machine gun and RPG fire. Some men on listening post in front of my position were hit during the initial attack. Somehow two of them had managed to get back close to the perimeter and I could hear them calling for help and a medic. I was able to crawl out a short distance to them and assist them in to our position.

They both had leg wounds, and me and another GI were able to get them to the CP and to a medic. They told us that the enemy had broke through the Charlie Co. perimeter around midnight, and I was sent as part of a force to reinforce their positions.

When me and another GI got to the deserted foxholes, we started drawing heavy fire from outside and inside the perimeter. The enemy had got inside the perimeter and was trying to destroy the APCs and artillery battery. Red flares went up and the artillery started firing beehive rounds.

We got down inside the foxhole to avoid the darts and stayed down until the firing stopped. The enemy kept coming but we were able to keep any more from getting into the perimeter. The enemy broke off the attack at around 9 a.m., and the two of us were exhausted and almost out of ammo. I had a M-16 that I had picked up that had been left at the position by another GI from Charlie Co., plus I had my shotgun that I carried every day. I only had two shells left out of the 100 or so that I had started with. Other GIs started showing up around our positions and searching the area in front of my position for bodies and weapons.

There were 11 dead bodies and numerous blood trails leading back into the jungle. There were different kinds of weapons that were picked up and carried away with the dead enemy back to the CP. I was told to return to my unit and I never saw the GI that I had spent the night fighting beside. I was put in for the Army Commendation Medal for heroism by my superiors and was awarded it at a later date.

This is a night that I relive usually 2 or 3 times a week in my nightmares.



Readers' stories
Most read
Editor's picks

Please note that Stars and Stripes could not verify every account. Reader submissions are presented as first-person stories.

Join the conversation and share your voice.

Show Comments