South Korean officials seek to arrest U.S. soldier in taxi case
SEOUL — South Korean legal officials said they issued an arrest warrant Friday for one of five U.S. soldiers accused of robbing a South Korean taxi driver on Christmas night.
A Uijeongbu prosecutor’s office official confirmed that an arrest warrant was issued but was unable to provide further details Friday afternoon.
Not known is whether South Korean officials had contacted the U.S. military to seek custody of Pvt. Kidrem Cortez Porter, who is being held in pre-trial military confinement on Camp Humphreys.
A 2nd Infantry Division spokesman said Porter remained in U.S. custody late Friday afternoon.
At the time of the Dec. 25 incident, Porter had been restricted to base in connection with a March robbery. His final appeal of the conviction and 18-month prison sentence is pending a hearing date with the Supreme Court of Korea.
Porter, who wasn’t considered a flight risk, had been restricted to his battalion area on base until a final decision was made on the March case, officials have said.
Prosecutors said that it appeared Porter and the other soldiers had pre-assigned roles in the robbery. Prosecutors said a private choked the driver while another soldier hit him with a bottle and a third stole about $180 and a cell phone.
Each of the soldiers admitted involvement in the crime, according to a Dec. 28 2nd Infantry Division news release.
To date, Porter is the only soldier 2nd ID officials have named in the case. The soldiers are from the 4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment and 1st Battalion, 38th Field Artillery Regiment, according to 2nd ID officials.