Soldier suspected in attack is charged, taken to facility in Germany
March 26, 2003
The 101st Airborne Division soldier suspected of attacking his own troops in Kuwait arrived Tuesday at the U.S. Army Confinement Facility in Mannheim, Germany.
The Army took Sgt. Asan Akbar of the 326th Engineer Battalion into custody Sunday shortly after an attack on the division’s 1st Brigade field headquarters at Camp Pennsylvania.
George Heath, a spokesman for the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, Ky., said Tuesday afternoon that charges had been filed against Akbar, but the Criminal Investigation Command has not released specifics.
“But he would not be in Mannheim if he had not been charged,” Heath said.
One soldier, Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pa., was killed when a grenade exploded inside the tent. The attack also wounded 15 soldiers.
(A second serviceman died Tuesday from wounds suffered in the attack. Air Force Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, based in Boise, was pronounced dead at an Army field hospital in Kuwait, the Idaho Air National Guard told The Associated Press.)
The 9th Military Police Detachment staffs the jail on Coleman Barracks, the U.S. military’s major confinement facility in Europe. It was built in 1963 and can house more than 230 inmates. The facility falls under the 21st Theater Support Command.
“It’s the only place in the region where we hold soldiers who are in pretrial confinement,” said Carolyn Jackson, a U.S. Army Europe spokeswoman.
Normally, soldiers under pretrial confinement can stay in Mannheim up to a year.
Army officials said Akbar may soon be sent back to Fort Campbell, home of the 101st, for military court proceedings.