Support our mission
 

WüRZBURG, Germany — A Schweinfurt-based soldier pleaded guilty last week to charges of robbery and assault against a German couple, a crime he committed barely one month after being released from jail on other charges.

Pvt. Anthony G. Fugle, 20, of the 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, was sentenced to two years in military prison Tuesday at a court-martial in Schweinfurt, said Capt. Jason Duncan, the prosecutor. The military judge, Lt. Col. Robin Hall, also ordered him to forfeit all pay during his confinement and gave him a bad-conduct discharge.

Duncan said Fugle and Pfc. Eric Barnett, 19, had been drinking at a bar in Coburg — a city of 43,000 residents 43 miles northeast of Schweinfurt — early on the morning of Sept. 20. They followed a German couple, Ralf and Nicole Zeitler, and confronted them outside their front door.

Fugle pulled a plastic replica of a pistol and threatened the Zeitlers, Duncan said. According to testimony, he ripped a chain from the man’s neck, pushed him to the ground, and beat him.

In mid-August, Duncan said, Fugle had been released from prison after serving about two months in connection with drug use and vehicle theft charges. He also had previously been disciplined by his chain of command for assaulting another soldier while the unit was deployed to Kosovo in 2002.

Barnett was court-martialed in December for his role in the robbery and was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Migrated

stars and stripes videos

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up