Soldier investigated in Seoul rape, robbery case
SEOUL — A U.S. soldier is being investigated by the Seoul Central District Prosecutor’s Office on attempted rape and robbery charges, officials confirmed this week.
South Korean police forwarded the charges to the prosecutor’s office on Tuesday, said Sin Dong-gyu of the Seoul prosecutor’s office.
Police officials told Stripes they suspect 20-year-old Pfc. Franklin Brian Christopher broke into an off-post barbershop around 1 a.m. Oct. 30 and threatened a worker with a fake gun, demanding money and sex. A detective said the soldier took about $60 from the woman and attempted to rape her before she was able to press an alarm button. Police responded and apprehended the soldier.
The detective said police wanted to hold the soldier, who works for the 121st Medical Hospital, but that the local facilities didn’t meet standards required to hold U.S. suspects.
8th Army officials confirmed a soldier had been apprehended and said the military is cooperating fully with the investigation.