Support our mission
 

PYEONGTAEK, South Korea — The U.S. soldier who was fined more than $2,000 last month for striking a South Korean woman in the head with a bottle has ended his tour on the peninsula and moved to his next duty station, officials said Friday.

The fine imposed by a South Korean judge on Sgt. Montez Clark of the 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade stemmed from a Nov. 5 incident in Gwangju.

Clark and the woman had been drinking. When she objected to sexual remarks he made to her, he hit her in the head with a beer bottle and fled. She sustained head injuries, police said.

Gwangju police traced Clark through cell phone records and, at their request, the U.S. military in South Korea froze his scheduled rotation to the United States until the criminal case against him was completed.

Later, a Gwangju District Court judge fined Clark 2 million won (about $2,154).

On Jan. 23, officials at 8th U.S. Army headquarters in Seoul told Stars and Stripes Clark still was in South Korea on international hold and would remain so until the fine was paid.

But on Friday, 8th Army spokesman Lt. Col. Kenneth McDorman said the information provided by his office was wrong and that Clark actually “departed Korea Dec. 30, 2006.”

While in South Korea, Clark had been assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment at Camp Carroll in Waegwan.

At the time of the incident, the battalion was based at Gwangju Air Base but later relocated to Camp Carroll.

Brigade commander Col. John G. Rossi said Friday that Clark had been disciplined by his battalion for various offenses “associated” with the incident.

Rossi said he was not at liberty to provide details on the punishment.

Migrated

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up