Soldier dies from wounds sustained in Anbar
FALLUJAH, Iraq — A U.S. soldier died Thursday from wounds sustained Tuesday during combat operations in the western Iraqi province of Anbar, military officials said.
The soldier’s name and unit are being withheld until family members are notified. No other details of the incident were released, but the announcement came a day after the military said two other soldiers and a Marine were killed on Tuesday in Anbar.
It was unclear whether the deaths were related.
At least one of the casualties was caused by a roadside bomb, officials said.
Anbar province falls under the command of the U.S. Marine Corps, though the fighting troops on the ground are a mix of Army, Marines and in some cases, Navy special operations.
Under President Bush’s revised Iraq plan, some 4,000 additional troops — most of whom would be Marines with extended tours — are tasked with buttressing the forces already here.
Those troops make up part of a planned increase of 21,500 American servicemembers in Iraq, most of whom would be stationed in Baghdad.
Anbar has long been the heart of the Sunni insurgency, with flash point cities such as Fallujah and Ramadi. Last month, a U.S. Army battalion was brought into the Karmah area, just north of Fallujah, to replace an Iraqi battalion that had been transferred, military officials said then.
In recent months, American military officials have touted progress in Anbar, saying police and army recruiting — largely nonexistent in the previous year — has seen a marked improvement.
Many of the Marine units operating in Anbar are rotating now as part of previously set schedules, officials said, with the regimental combat teams in command of the eastern and western parts of the province both changing hands last week.