Support our mission
 

ANDERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Guam — An island resident was charged Tuesday in Guam Superior Court with shooting two teenagers on base early Monday morning.

Franklin John Salas, 23, of Yigo, is being held on $500,000 bail, Guam police spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Santos said, declining to comment further and referring questions to Andersen public affairs officials.

“Pacific Air Forces has asked us not to respond to any queries beyond any new developments in the investigation, and there hasn’t been any,” Anderson spokesman Tech. Sgt. Dale Yates said Wednesday afternoon.

Shaundale P. Quenga, 14, died after he suffered blood loss from a gunshot wound to the leg, the Pacific Daily News reported.

Vincent Paul Palomo, 15, also was shot in the leg. He was treated and released Monday from Guam Memorial Hospital, the newspaper reported.

Citing court documents, the newspaper said Santos faces charges of manslaughter, a first-degree felony, and aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.

Chief Prosecutor Tricia Ada said in court the attorney general’s office plans to file more charges against Salas, the newspaper said.

Seven others — six men and a boy — were also arrested in connection with the incident, Anderson officials said in a press release.

The men are being held at the jail.

The minor, whose name has not been released, was later released to the custody of his parents.

The newspaper, citing court documents, reported:

Salas told police he was hunting for deer with several men and the minors Monday morning on Andersen Air Force Base.

At that time, hunting had been suspended in the area where the shooting took place, Air Force officials have said.

Salas said he fired a shot at a deer but the deer ran off, so after Salas “racked another round into the shotgun,” he and the victims followed the animal.

“After pursuing the deer for some time, the defendant turned to the victims who he knew were right behind him to call off the search... As he turned around, the firearm went off, shooting both victims.”

Salas said he carried Quenga on his back with the other men’s assistance, but they then decided to leave the victims and seek help.

However, Salas said when he did see a vehicle approaching, he hid in the jungle, later returning to his home.

He “did not report the incident.”

Air Force security forces found the wounded teenagers in the jungle surrounding Andersen Air Force Base’s northwest portion at about 2:40 a.m. Monday. The group was allegedly on base without authorization, Air Force officials said Tuesday.

Air Force Security Forces, the Office of Special Investigation and Guam police are investigating. They have also asked the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to assist.

According to a base news release, investigators recovered firearms at the scene.

Migrated

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up