YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — A U.S. Army sergeant was convicted of rape, housing fraud and several other charges during a three-day court-martial last week at Camp Humphreys, according to base legal officials.

Sgt. Phillip R. Brown, of the 2-52 Aviation Regiment, was convicted of rape, extortion, larceny of more than $50,000, making false official statements, aggravated assault, assault, communicating a threat, disobeying an order and committing indecent acts.

Prosecutors said Brown forced a junior soldier to have sex with him against her will. Brown told the woman he videotaped her and used his rank and position to further threaten her, according to legal documents.

Brown attempted to stab the junior soldier with a knife in the Dragon Hill Lodge in May 2003. He also threatened to kill his wife while holding a knife to her neck, the military court found.

Brown also threatened a junior soldier at Fort Bragg, N.C., four years ago with a knife during a similar extortion scheme, officials said.

In 2000, Brown falsely wrote on a re-enlistment form that he never had been arrested; he actually had served time in 1998 after his pregnant girlfriend accused him of pushing her head into a microwave oven, court documents stated.

Brown also lied on his Basic Allowance for Housing application when he arrived at Camp Humphreys in September 2000, the documents stated.

Over three years, he claimed more than $50,000 in excess housing allowance by saying his wife was living in New York. Brown’s wife actually was another soldier living in far less expensive Fort Huachuca, Ariz.

Housing allowance for military dependents is based on where they live.

Prosecutors said Brown and his wife had group sex with another woman on several occasions, bringing charges of adultery and indecent acts.

The sergeant was reduced to E-1, sentenced to 16 years in prison, fined $50,000 and given a dishonorable discharge.

The fine is in addition to the $50,000 he must repay the U.S. government. According to the sentencing terms, if Brown does not repay the $50,000 by the time the military authority who convened the court-martial takes action, he will be sentenced to an additional four years.

The convening authority, 19th TSC commander Brig. Gen. Jeanette K. Edmunds, is reviewing the sentence. She can lower it but not increase it.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now