A South Korean woman who admitted to setting a March fire on a U.S. military base requested a delay in her sentencing, which had been scheduled for Thursday in Seoul Western District Court.
Kweon Jung-ja, 57, admitted in court May 18 that she entered a U.S. military compound adjacent to Yongsan Garrison and started the fire. The blaze swept through three buildings, including two on Yongsan, and sent three South Korean workers to the hospital with burns.
The court granted Kweon’s delay. Her new sentencing date is Thursday.
In May, Kweon told court officials she set the March 16 fire because she has been unable to obtain a U.S. visa to visit her family.
She testified that she has spent years protesting both South Korean and American governments for what she says is their refusal to help her reunite with her sons.
Arson typically carries a three-year sentence but Seoul prosecutors are seeking a five-year confinement in a facility where Kweon could receive medical treatment.
They are seeking the more severe sentence because the three workers were burned in the fire. As of late May, one worker remained hospitalized.