Naval Medical Center officials in San Diego confirmed Monday that a Navy SEAL shot in the face Christmas Day on Guam was treated at the hospital last week.

Jerritt P. Lacy of Special Warfare Unit 1, based in San Diego but deployed to Guam, underwent oral surgery Dec. 31, hospital officials said. Lacy is not an inpatient, they said, declining to comment further on his treatment.

Lacy, whose rank was unavailable, was identified as one of two SEALs injured in the Christmas Day shooting, according to Guam Superior Court records released Monday. The second shooting victim was identified as James Robert Reeves of Special Warfare Unit 1.

Court records show Daniel A. Snyder and Robert M. Brown, from the same SEALs unit, were involved in the incident but were uninjured.

Lacy was shot in the left side of his face while riding in a taxi on Guam, court documents state. Reeves was shot in the back of the neck; the bullet exited his body in the shoulder blade area, the documents state.

Two men charged in the shooting were in court Monday afternoon for a preliminary hearing. The content of those proceedings was not immediately available.

Michael Sungho Roberson, 24, and Romano “Mano” Jon Santos, 29, were charged Dec. 26 with:

• Two counts each of second-degree aggravated assault with special allegations of possession and use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony.

• Two counts of third-degree aggravated assault with special allegations of possession and use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony.

• Third-degree aggravated assault.

They are being held on $500,000 cash bail in the Guam Department of Corrections jail, officials said Monday.

The shooting followed a “heated argument” between Lacy and the two defendants in Bari Bari Restaurant, court records state.

The SEALs left the restaurant after being told the men had a gun, court records show. The Navy men got in a taxi driven by Michael J. Lee.

But as Lee pulled away, a Toyota Camry pulled alongside and two men started shooting, court records show. Lee sped away with the four SEALs but the Camry passed him, then slowed.

Lee said he saw the passenger aim a rifle at his car and heard gunfire, court records state. His rear and passenger windows shattered.

Police reported more than five bullets struck the cab, court records show, noting one bullet hit Lacy in the left side of the face and one bullet struck Reeves in the back of the neck. Lee drove the SEALS to Guam’s Naval Hospital.

Court records state that Roberson confessed to the shooting.

Roberson told police Santos drove the Camry as he fired a handgun at the taxi and fired three shots at the trunk in an effort to scare the servicemembers, charging documents show.

Roberson told police he purchased the gun for $50 and that he and Santos tossed the gun’s magazine out of the window along Airport Road, court records state. They reportedly threw the gun in a trash bin.

Bouncers and witnesses at Bari Bari later identified Roberson and Santos for police, who subsequently arrested them, court records state.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now