A heart-shaped charm bracelet given away with various styles of children’s Reebok sneakers and sold through the Army and Air Force Exchange Service was recalled last week by the manufacturer due to high levels of lead.

The recall, prompted by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in cooperation with Reebok, was announced after a 4-year-old child reportedly swallowed a piece of the bracelet and later died of acute lead poisoning.

The 8-inch-long metal bracelet has a heart-shaped charm on the end with “Reebok” engraved on one side, according to an AAFES news release.

AAFES sold the shoes with the free bracelet from May 2004 until this month, the release states.

Consumers should immediately throw the bracelet away.

For more information, contact Reebok at (800) 994-6260, or log on to for more information.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now