Pvt. Jeremiah Carmack

Pvt. Jeremiah Carmack (Courtesy photo)

April 1997 to April 2001: First tour of duty with the Army; separated at Fort Lewis, Wash., with the rank of specialist, E-4; given an honorable discharge; characterized as "fully qualified for continued service."

July 2001 to January 2003: Second tour of duty with the Army; separated at Fort Campbell, Ky., with the rank of private, E-1; discharged under honorable conditions. Army said he was "not qualified for continued service." A relative of Carmack’s said the young man got into trouble for punching a superior officer.

July 5, 2007: A doctor with the U.S. Army Recruiting Command approves a medical waiver; reason for medical waiver has not been released.

July 25, 2007: Jeremiah W. Carmack begins third stint with the Army and is sent to Schweinfurt, Germany, as a logistics specialist. With the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division in Iraq, Carmack is assigned to the 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment rear detachment.

September, 2007: Carmack writes of Anne Frank on his MySpace blog. He says he has found the girl of his dreams, but also alludes to problems they are having.

Dec. 16, 2007: Carmack deliberately overdoses on prescription medicine; suicide attempt lands him in an Army hospital. During his hospital stay, Frank breaks things off for good. Soldier released from the hospital in early January.

January, 2008: Within 72 hours of his discharge, the rear detachment, headed up by the 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, gives way to 1st Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, which is off of block leave. Knowledge of Carmack’s suicide attempt is not adequately passed along and, with superiors leaving for new jobs, the matter gets overlooked. Carmack is later in the running to become an armory assistant.

March 8: Carmack approaches Frank and his roommate, who are now dating, in the Bamberg PX. He follows them to their car and threatens to kill them.

March 9: Roommate moves out of the quarters he shared with Carmack.

March 10: Roommate reports Carmack’s threat to superiors. Unit takes part in weapon qualification exercise at range. Officials suspect Carmack placed 15 rounds and a magazine in an assault pack that went unchecked.

March 13: Expert Infantry Badge event held during duty day. Carmack is not a participant but uses the event to obtain a weapon, saying he needed to clean it. Armory personnel forget about Carmack’s weapon. Investigators suspect Carmack immediately hid the M-4 carbine in his car, driving off post with it after work.

Between 5:30-7 p.m.: Carmack leaves Conn Barracks for the town of Alterhausen, where Frank lives. The drive take roughly 30 minutes.

Arrives at scene between 7-7:30 p.m. Gains access to Frank’s house.

While on the phone with her new boyfriend, Frank discovers Carmack is in her house. The time is about 8 p.m. "Don’t shoot me," he hears her say to Carmack. Boyfriend contacts authorities.

By 9:45 p.m. the armory at Conn Barracks confirms it is missing a weapon. The battalion commander and military police are notified.

Franks is tied up, but convinces Carmack to loosen her bonds. She manages to escape. Carmack seeks refuge in a nearby field, but is spotted by German police shortly before midnight. He is shot to death when he levels his gun at approaching police.

Source: Army 15-6 investigation report

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now