Prosecutor weighs charging Kunsan airman
June 11, 2008
A Jeonju city prosecutor is still considering whether to press charges against a Kunsan Security Forces airman who vandalized an elderly South Korean woman’s home late last month, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said Monday.
The airman, an E-2 whose last name is Lewis, caused nearly $2,000 in damage when he broke into the 81-year-old woman’s home early in the morning May 31, the spokesman said. Lewis allegedly broke the front window, kicked and broke furniture in the living room for an hour, then fell out of a third-story window as he tried to flee from police.
Lewis was treated and released from a hospital in Jeonju May 31, Kunsan spokesman Lt. David Herndon said. A South Korean police spokesman said last week that the airman was being treated at Kunsan’s on-base hospital.
Kunsan’s public affairs office did not provide additional responses Monday to questions about the airman and his condition. The office did not release details about the incident last week, citing privacy laws and an ongoing investigation.