Quantcast

US airman who went missing in South Korea returned ‘on his own volition’

This handout from the U.S. Air Force shows Staff Sgt. Tristin Blake Jarvis, an Osan Air Base airman who went missing July 9, 2020, and returned to base a week later.

U.S. AIR FORCE

By STARS AND STRIPES Published: July 15, 2020

SEOUL, South Korea — A U.S. airman who went missing last week returned “on his own volition” to Osan Air Base nearly a week after he was reported absent from his unit, a spokesman said Wednesday.

The Air Force launched a search for Staff Sgt. Tristin Blake Jarvis, 26, of the 51st Force Support Squadron on July 9, saying he was last seen in the vicinity of the Osan Fitness Center the day before, according to the 51st Fighter Wing.

Jarvis “safely reported to Osan Air Base” at about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday, the 51st Fighter Wing said in a news release.

“He returned on his own volition following encouragement from his family and commander,” wing spokesman 1st Lt. Daniel de La Fe said Wednesday in an email.

He declined to provide more details, citing the need to protect the privacy of Jarvis and his family.

“The 51st Fighter Wing’s main concern is that we provide Staff Sgt. Jarvis the proper care required for his well-being," he said.

Wing commander Col. John Gonzales expressed gratitude to U.S. security forces teams, South Korean police, community partners and people on base “for quickly coming together and helping us locate him safely.”

“Team Osan is grateful to have Staff Sgt. Jarvis return to his Mustang family,” Gonzales said in the press release.

news@stripes.com

from around the web