F-15s deemed safe after crash off Okinawa, base says
By STARS AND STRIPES Published: May 29, 2013
CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa – The Air Force said Thursday that all F-15s at Kadena Air Base were tested and confirmed safe after one of the aircraft went down in the waters off Okinawa earlier this week.
The crash was the first reported loss of a United States F-15 based on the island since 2006 and the pilot ejected safely, but the incident alarmed the local government, which called for stepped up safety checks and a grounding of the jet fighters.
"In the last 24 hours, we've inspected all of our F-15s and we are confident they are safe to resume training," Col. Brian McDaniel, vice commander of the 18th Wing at Kadena Air Base, said in a released statement.
An Air Force interim safety investigation board began gathering information Wednesday to determine the cause of the crash.