Officials seek culprits in bomb threat at Yokota
January 23, 2004
YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan — Air Force officials are continuing their investigation into two recent bomb threats that prompted the evacuation of several buildings near the Yokota Community Center and the middle and high schools.
“No arrests have been made,” base spokeswoman 2nd Lt. Jessica Martin said Tuesday. “The incidents are undergoing investigation.”
Meanwhile, Yokota Middle School Principal Steven L. Sanchez praised his students Tuesday for their orderly evacuation from the school after a threatening note was found Jan. 13 at Yokota High School.
The middle school was evacuated because it is within 310 feet of the high school.
The bomb threat was the second in less than a week — the first occurred Jan. 8. That threat was in the form of a note found on a car windshield in a lot next to Building 316, which houses 374th Mission Support Group leadership and base education offices.
In his letter to parents Tuesday, Sanchez said he was “extremely proud” of students and faculty.
“No school practices fire drills and evacuation drills better than we do, and it showed,” the letter said.
Sanchez ensured parents their children were never in any real danger and that school officials were in contact with the base command post “at all times during the evacuation.”
“Hopefully, we will not have to exercise our evacuation plan, but I’m confident we would execute it just as well as last week,” he said.