No new molestation reports in Kaiserslautern community, officials say
By JENNIFER H. SVAN | STARS AND STRIPES Published: May 7, 2012
KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — Ramstein Air Base officials reassured parents Monday that there have been no new reports of child molestation in the Kaiserslautern Military Community.
“According to investigators, there is no report of a new child molestation case,” the Air Force posted on Ramstein Air Base’s Facebook page Monday. “The information on the existing cases is unchanged from that announced at the Joint Town Halls last week.”
The statement came in response to a Facebook comment from a concerned parent asking if anyone had information on another possible incident she heard had taken place on Friday at Kapaun.
Juan Melendez, a spokesman for the 86th Airlift Wing at Ramstein, said Monday that there have been no new reports of incidents involving a child “at Kapaun or any other location,” beyond the three cases already announced.
At two town hall meetings last week, Ramstein base officials said there had been two reports of child molestation and one of attempted child abduction at U.S. military bases in the Kaiserslautern area. The first case was reported in January but dates to last August. The most recent case was reported April 24.
Military community officials at the town hall promised they would inform the public as quickly as possible if there were any new reported incidents, after parents expressed anger and frustration that more details on the cases had not been released sooner.
On the Ramstein Facebook page Monday, the Air Force said that “any updates to information” will be posted to the Ramstein LiveWire (http://www.ramstein.af.mil/livewire.asp) and the U.S. Army Garrison-Kaiserslautern website, under Hot Topics (http://www.kaiserslautern.army.mil/).
Ramstein base officials said at last week’s town hall meetings that no suspect has been identified or taken in for questioning. An official with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations said the agency was “working some leads.” OSI and Army Criminal Investigation Command agents have been going door-to-door in base housing seeking information related to the alleged incidents, Melendez said.