Newspaper report about Yongsan relocation called inaccurate
YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — U.S. Forces Korea criticized the Korea Times for publishing what it termed an “inaccurate article” about the relocation of American troops within South Korea.
In a news release, USFK said no location has been selected for moving Yongsan Garrison’s forces, despite the Korea Times’ Saturday article saying Osan Air Base had been picked.
USFK also refuted the article’s “implied conclusion” that shifting of military forces would weaken U.S. commitment to South Korea.
“Nothing could be further from the truth,” the USFK release said.
The English-language paper circulates 25,000 copies daily. USFK spokesperson Lee Ferguson said the command has received no response from the Korea Times.
The story’s writer, Oh Young-jin, said Monday he has not read USFK’s release but that he had his sources for the story. Oh cited an anonymous U.S. official in the story.
Editor Kim Chong-jin said he believes Oh had sources for the story but had yet to speak with Oh about it as of Monday morning.
After two days of talks last week, U.S. and South Korean officials agreed to move forces from Yongsan Garrison “as soon as possible” but gave no timeline.
The 630-acre post, which sits in the middle of Seoul and hosts three military commands, has for years drawn the South Korean public’s ire.