Support our mission
 

Naples High School students no longer are allowed to leave campus during the school day following an incident involving a 21-year-old former student and a senior at the school.

The 21-year-old came to the school on Dec. 3 “aggressively looking for” the student while armed with a bat and a knife, according to a letter Principal Sandra Daniels sent to parents.

Base security took the intruder into custody, officials said. Daniels’ letter said he and the student had had an argument on Dec. 1.

Daniels declined to answer any questions about the incident or the closed campus policy. But her letter stated she had spoken with students the following day “to avoid miscommunication and attempt to control rumors.”

After the gathering, students say, teachers told them they could no longer leave campus during lunch.

Daniels said in the letter the incident had no impact on the student body.

But some students said they were angry and disappointed by the new policy.

“I understand that the principal is trying to protect the students, but it’s unjust that she’s punishing us for something that we had no control over,” said 17-year-old senior Samantha Cook, a member of the Naples High School Student Council. “The students are pretty upset about it. Most understand the intent was good, but the method doesn’t seem logical.”

Daniels revoked the privilege because she thought it was best to have everyone accounted for at all times following the incident, said Margret Menzies, spokeswoman for DODDS-Europe.

She said the Naples school will revisit the issue after the holidays. In the meantime, she said, Daniels worked with base officials to increase security around the school.

Officials have now closed the school running track during school hours. The track had been open to the base community, said Capt. Floyd Hehe, commanding officer for the base.

High school senior Jahn Teetsov said he wasn’t too surprised about the privilege being revoked.

He said students were under the impression school officials wanted to revoke off-campus privileges — which had been given to all seniors, as well as juniors who maintained a 3.0 GPA or better — and used the incident as a catalyst.

“The principal gave us indications that the privilege would be taken away before this incident,” Teetsov said. “The seniors feel like they don’t have a say in the school. They feel they’re not being listened to as a class.”

The 21-year-old former student, the son of a civilian employee, will be returned to the United States by the end of the month, said a Navy spokeswoman for the region.

Migrated

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up