More than 150 sailors to be separated from Navy
Stars and Stripes November 5, 2009
YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE, Japan — More than 150 senior enlisted sailors are being separated after the Navy wrapped up its first continuation board last month, according to the Navy.
Of the 5,686 sailors up for review, 97 percent were recommended for continuation, according to the Navy’s Personnel Command Web site.
The 158 who were not will have until June 30 to retire.
An Oct. 23 e-mail from Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Rick West indicated only 38 percent of the sailors who showed “adverse performance” are being separated.
The Navy defines adverse performance as failure to meet personnel, job or fitness standards as well as being involved in any misconduct or criminal activity.
Senior Chief Petty Officer Johannes Gonzalez, Yokosuka’s regional career counselor, said the retention of some sailors who’ve had such problems in the past is an indicator they’ve “bounced back.”
“I’m glad they didn’t focus on the first strike a sailor may have on their record,” he said.
The boards, which will be conducted annually, focus on sailors ranked E-7 through E-9 with 20 or more years of service.
Gonzalez said future boards may shift focus for a given year, but performance is always going to be key to a long career.
“If chief petty officers want to stay longer than 20 years, they’re going to have to perform, anchor up and follow the guiding principles that we’re taught as chiefs,” he said.