Support our mission

The missing Heidelberg High School teacher has been found in a hospital in Turkey, a spokesman for the Department of Defense Dependents Schools-Europe and family members said Wednesday.

Details of Tom Davenport’s condition were not immediately known, but he did manage to convey enough information to a hospital nurse that ultimately led the staff to identify him, said Beverly Eads, Davenport’s former wife.

“He has been there since the 26th [of February],” Eads said in a phone interview. “He wasn’t able to give them any information before.”

Eads’ daughter Ashley said she was told her dad was found in the Turkish city of Antalya, a popular resort located on the Mediterranean coast. She was also told her dad was transported to the hospital in an ambulance, but what led to the ambulance call was not immediately known.

Davenport, 60, was feared missing last week when he failed to show up at the school after taking leave the week before, said Bob Purtiman, a spokesman for DODDS-Europe. School officials went to his home last week, but Davenport was nowhere to be found and nothing looked suspicious.

German and U.S. Army police made a more thorough search of the premises Monday but also found no indication of foul play.

Weeks prior to taking leave, Davenport talked of maybe visiting his family in Wisconsin, Purtiman said. The social studies teacher’s mother died shortly before Christmas, which became a major impetus for Davenport to want to return to La Crosse, Wis., according to Eads.

Apparently, Davenport’s plans changed and he opted to travel to the United States in April. Eads said a memorial service is planned for next month.

Eads and Purtiman said it was very much out of character for Davenport to not return when his leave ended, which was Feb. 28.

“His job is everything to him,” Eads said.

Eads believes Davenport’s disappearance was medically related. In early February, she said, Davenport suffered two minor seizures while at school and was examined by doctors. An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) test was performed, Eads said, but nothing at the time signaled anything of a dire nature.

She said her 20-year-old daughter is simply relieved her dad is alive. Ashley had visited her dad just weeks ago and had spoken to him on the phone as recently as Feb. 17, the day before his last known whereabouts.

“It’s been a long week,” Ashley Davenport said in a phone interview. “Hopefully, everything will be OK medically, but I’m just happy he’s been found.”


Stripes in 7

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up