MISAWA AIR BASE, Japan — About 32 vendors from India, Japan, South Korea, Thailand and elsewhere in Asia will be selling their wares at the Misawa Officers Spouses Club’s Far East Bazaar March 24-25.

Organizers say the semiannual event, the largest bazaar on base, offers an opportunity to shop under one roof for some items unique to the region.

Shoppers “also support the community,” said Rhonda Grieser, bazaar chairwoman.

The MOSC raises on average about $60,000 from each bazaar. About 60 percent of that is returned to the community via scholarships and grants. The remaining 40 percent is funneled into administrative costs for the next bazaar.

Schools and various organizations on base receive funds from MOSC, ranging from the American Red Cross to Pets Are Worth Saving. Boys Scouts and Girl Scouts are beneficiaries, as are military spouses and high school graduates continuing their education.

Furniture and jewelry are big sellers. Persian rugs, washi paper dolls, cultured Japanese pearls, pashmina wraps and custom-made kanji prints are among what’s to be spread on vendor tables.

To pay, shoppers may use U.S. dollars, Visa, Mastercard or checks. Baby strollers aren’t allowed because they’re deemed a fire hazard. Bazaar hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 24 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 25 in Hangar 949.

Volunteers are needed to assist vendors, help with setup and take-down, work in the business office (cashiers and computer entry) and drive vendors in the morning and evening from the bazaar to off-base hotels.

Volunteers get to shop early, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., on the event’s first day and are eligible for door prizes, organizers said. Most shifts — except drivers — are just more than three hours long. Volunteers may specify shift and job they’d prefer. To volunteer or for more information, contact bazaar organizers at

author picture
Jennifer reports on the U.S. military from Kaiserslautern, Germany, where she writes about the Air Force, Army and DODEA schools. She’s had previous assignments for Stars and Stripes in Japan, reporting from Yokota and Misawa air bases. Before Stripes, she worked for daily newspapers in Wyoming and Colorado. She’s a graduate of the College of William and Mary in Virginia.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now